Monday, April 15, 2013

When Sh*t Gets Real

It's all a little surreal. I was just talking to my sister when it happened. She lives right outside Boston so she asked me if I'd heard.

Heard about what?

The explosions, she said. There were explosions at the marathon.

It didn't register. I remember feeling the same way ten years ago when someone told me what happened. A plane did what? What...do you mean? My brain is always searching for the logic in things. Looking for a rational way to assemble the pieces in a system that makes sense. When she told me explosions I assumed electrical equipment, something minor. I figured it wasn't a big deal.

I was wrong.

There wasn't a lot of information at first just a few pictures. Explosions and smoke and people running. Then I saw the one that made it real. It was an empty street. There were no people but the pavement was all wrong. It was dark, covered in something that wasn't supposed to be there. My stomach turned and all I could think was, why? Why would someone do this?

I was angry. I was so angry and so heartbroken. I wanted something, some kind of answer. Who's responsible? How could they do this? I wanted some shred of information that would let me put it in a neat little box that my brain could understand. I wanted to organize it and file it away in a place where it didn't scare me so much, in a place where it didn't hurt so bad.

The truth is that you can't rationalize this sh*t. There's no one why, there's a thousand whys and they all sound like ignorance and hatred. They all sound sad and angry and misunderstood. There's so many answers but no matter what they are or how many they could never add up to a solution that satisfies this. There's no satisfying this.

But there is something.  It's right there in front of us. There's so much fear and anger and sadness but look past that.  You'll see that people were running but they weren't running away.

Sure, some people were scared but so many others, they were running towards the explosions, towards the screams. There was no way any one of them knew what was going on or what they were getting themselves into but I like to think they didn't care. I like to believe they knew people were hurt and needed help and that was the only thing that mattered.

Some people think these events are why we should lose faith in humanity. I disagree. This is when we see our strength. This is when we show our love. Strangers helping strangers because they're in need. People risking their lives because it's what they believe you're supposed to do.

Terrorism thrives on fear. The whole point is to break our spirit and rob us of our faith. If that's what this was, I say they failed. When I look back on what happened today I don't see broken people running scared. I see people doing their best and trying their hardest. In the wake of a horrific tragedy, I see people who refuse to stop fighting. They might be scared but they are together and we are with them in our hearts and minds if not our bodies.

They can hurt us. They can knock us down. They can scar us and scare us but we will stand back up and we will do it together.

We are strong because we are not alone.

Much love to the friends and family of all those involved. My heart goes out to you and I am so sorry for your loss. Stay strong Boston.

Stay strong.

Todays Workout: (Yes. We're still doing this because f*ck the people responsible.)
AM:
Run 5k
Foam Roll - quads, hams, glutes, ITB, calves
Active mobility/dynamic stretching
Passive stretching/recovery

PM:
Dynamic Warm-Up- 10-15 min
Deadlift - 5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1-1
Power Clean - 5-5-5
Wide Grip Pull Up 3-3-3-3-3
Bench Press 4x8
Bent Over Row - 4x8
Overhead Press - 4x8





No comments:

Post a Comment